Background Image


HMO Rules

We can help...

Paul Simon are Accredited London Landlords, trained and qualified to manage tenancies and properties in accordance with London Rental Standards. We provide HMO guidance to Landlords and co-ordinate HMO applications and manage upgrade works for compliance.

Can I sell a tenanted house HMO with or without a license?

Yes we have a national portfolio purchaser for any type of HMO licensed or Unlicensed. Please call 0208 800 1155.

Houses in Multiple Occupation Explained

“Any property occupied by persons who do not form a single household” 

All properties let in multiple occupation must be correctly managed in accordance with ‘The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006 SI 2006/372’ and comply with local authority conditions. Furthermore. All properties Haringey that are occupied by more then one household require an additional license. All large type properties require a mandatory HMO license. The local council will inspect these HMO’s as part of the licensing application and if conditions are not up to standard, the landlord or owner will be legally required to make improvements. Please contact us for further information.
Background Image
Background Image

Landlord responibilities to maintain standards of all rented properties and HMOs

If you rent to sharers i.e. not one family household you have legal responsibility to maintain certain set standards by the local authority regardless of how many stories ,how many occupiers or whether you require a license or planning permission. Many people find HMO regulation extremely confusing to interpret, Paul Simon HMO management team can assess your property and advise the best ways to maximize your income and regularise your HMO. Paul Simon manage many HMO properties the majority required relatively minor compliance works, in many cases the upgrade and improvements resulted in better quality accommodation and increased rental value.

What do the council want to see?

The number of occupiers, room sizes, number of kitchen and bathroom facilities Security, Gas, Electrical & Fire safety certificates and in all rental properties (Beware without correct certification property Insurance is void). Unlicensed HMO’S attract fines £30,000 (and Haringey Council have already imposed this).
Do I need planning permission to use my property as an HMO?
Since November 2013 properties rented to any mix of sharers (I.e. Not one family/household) in the eastern wards of Haringey require planning permission for change of use (the eastern wards covering Wood Green, Tottenham, Seven sisters Bruce Grove Northumberland Park Tottenham Hale Bounds Green, Harringay). Please Click here for full details. Document /reports section view public notice illustrating the wards and confirming 30/11/2013 being the effective date planning permission is required for HMO’S.

CLICK HERE for Planning Policy Maps

CLICK HERE for Article 4 Direction for HMOs

CLICK HERE for Planning Policies in Haringey
Background Image
Background Image

What if my HMO was existing in November 2013 and prior to this date?

If a property was an existing HMO on 30thNovember 2013 and 2011 in Harringay special licensing area the property can be granted permitted development rights, and thus will not require planning permission. That does not exclude licensing, if 3 storey and 5 occupiers/households or more, or if located in a special licensing areas irrespective of how many stories or occupiers require planning permission or a license.

Selective Licencing Scheme

Please be aware that local authorities now have new selective property licensing schemes.  Under the scheme, privately rented properties within their selective licensing zones will require a licence to be legally let.  

Further information and How to apply

Haringey Council Selective Property Licensing
Islington Council Property Licensing

Licensable HMOs

Please speak to one our letting agents regarding HMOs. 
Background Image

Contact Us